Loca-busy? Locavore?

Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Not-Cucumber


I started removing the vegetable garden about a week ago, but haven’t been able to finish up until yesterday.  All week my husband has been asking (in his funny French accent), “Did you see the long, big, coh-cohm-ber?”  And every day I look for the “coh-cohm-ber” and can’t find it.  What is he seeing that I can’t see?  I ask myself.  My cucumbers were a vibrant yellow variety this year, as I’ve mentioned, and would reflect the slanting rays of fall sunlight.  But every day as I pass by after walking the dog, I can find nothing.

Yesterday was one of those perfect fall days you don’t want to end.  The sky was a deep, deep blue, the sun was hot, and the breeze was almost musical.  I grabbed my gloves and pulled up stakes, snapped zip-ties, shook clumps of dirt from root balls, and folded up my vines into compost bags.  I found my labels and washed them off to remember what I planted for next year.  I grabbed the monstrous zucchini vine last of all….and there it was.  Not a “coh-cohm-ber” at all, but a giant, hulking, dark green, hard-to-miss zucchini. Three and a half pounds of not-cucumber.  And three hours later it became not-cucumber bread.


Freshly washed not-cucumber; with a wine bottle, for size comparison


That same husband also picked a huge number of hard, green tomatoes out of the compost when he got home and brought them proudly into the kitchen.  “Here!” he said, triumphantly.  “I brought you these!”  I am pretty sure he knows they’re tomatoes.

I think next year we might need a bit of training.


7 comments:

  1. ha! Somewhere I have a great recipe for green tomato bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would LOVE any recipes using green tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never throw out green tomatoes as I like to make green tomato chutney using my Grandmother's recipe (and I'm happy to share the recipe if you want it). I've been making raw zucchini noodles with the big uns and serving them with a simple tomato sauce and loving it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green tomato chutney sounds like a wonderful way to use up the tomatoes! Would love the recipe if you care to share.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'll make a copy for you, Joy.

      Delete
  5. Not-cucumber bread sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete