Loca-busy? Locavore?

Monday, January 9, 2017

Lucky Pierre Bakers--treats for everyone!

So, I realize in my last blog post I said I would follow up with a honey-related topic (forthcoming), but I’d like to take a break in our regularly scheduled programming of local people food to talk about a new product out there for man’s/woman’s best friend. And, woof!


This is my Persimmon. And this is the face she makes when you have something in your hand that she really really likes.


Notice Persimmon's eye boo-boo, which makes her begging even more convincing....


In this case, the thing was Lucky Pierre Bakers’ dog treats.




You see, Persimmon had a birthday recently, so my friends Rey and Taidghin—two thirds of the Lucky Pierre baking team—stopped by to wish her a happy birthday and drop off one of their specialties. This one is Henny Penny (chicken), but they also have Billy Goat Ruff (goat). All ingredients for these dog treats are local within a 50-mile radius, and the ingredient list is simple and nutritious.


And, from the look on Persimmon’s face and her tail-chasing when I bring out the bag, absolutely delicious. Lucky Pierre takes the parts of local, organic meats that are considered “less desirable” for humans, but are packed with all the stuff that dogs love and need, such as the calcium of eggshells and the high iron content of organ meats. The farmers are glad to be able to put this product to good use, meaning no part of their animal is wasted. The ingredients are all fresh with no preservatives added, so not shelf stable; but the Bakers are going to be working on a freeze-dried version that will last outside the refrigerator, and will stay fresh longer than a loaf of (preservative-free) bread.


OK, so, you’re thinking to yourself, I don’t have a dog, what’s in it for me?


Well, glad you asked! A few months ago I also had the privilege of a tasty preview of Lucky Pierre’s other product, and this one is for humans. Doughnuts. 

Photo courtesy of Prairie Fruits Farm Facebook Page
Not just any doughnuts, these doughnuts are fried in clarified butter, which takes the common doughnut to a whole other dimension of decadence. Try one and you’ll know what I’m talking about. They have a Cardamom Vanilla and a Cinnamon Sugar, and sometimes a surprise flavor of the day. Yum! You’ll kiss your Krispy Kremes goodbye with nary a backward glance.  They’re available on weekends at Flying Machine Coffee in Urbana, but get there early, before they run out! Sometimes they pop up in other locations around town, such as Prairie Fruits Farm or Clutch Cuts. I highly recommend visiting and liking Lucky Pierre’s Facebook page for updates. They also have a brand new website, at--you guessed it!--luckypierrebakers.com!

And if that wasn't enough, these lucky bakers were featured in the January 1, 2017 News Gazette! Take a look at the article here!


Meanwhile, I’ll be in my kitchen, torturing my dog with promises of more Henny Penny treats.

But what’s that little pool of water on the floor?, you ask.
That’s not water, I answer. That’s doggie drool.
Ew, you say.
Yeah, I say. That’s because they’re just that good.

1 comment: