Loca-busy? Locavore?

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Salad Days

I find myself forced to come clean:  I haven’t posted here for ages because I’m on this crazy restricted low-calorie, low-carb diet, and the food choice has been, well...lackluster, to say the least. I mostly eat lean protein, non-starchy veggies, and a whole lotta salad. Local greenhouse salad, of course, but the sheer volume of salad is kind of ridiculous, and hasn’t been that inspiring to write about. I’m very compartmentalized about my food temperatures vis-a-vis the temperature outside, so salad in the winter is extremely unpleasant for me, but I’ve managed to muscle through.

But now it’s officially spring. I know this because:

1. Rabbits.


2. Cold foods are appealing again.

3. Asparagus.

Now, I just had to take a picture of this bad boy salad before I gobbled it up.


I have to admit, I got impatient and bought some non-local asparagus at the store the other day (from Mexico, maybe? Who knows.). Once I got it home, I regretted it. It never got to that brilliant green color, so I accidently overcooked it, and if there’s anything I hate more than salad in winter, it’s limp asparagus. Then Greg from Claybank Farms called me and told me to expect asparagus in his list of offerings this week! I usually hate throwing food away, but this time I gleefully tossed the remainder of the espárragos in the compost.

I’ve eaten the whole bunch from Greg by myself in two days. Last night, I steamed the whole pound for dinner, but no one ate it but me (in my family’s defense, and fortunately for me, there were lots of leftovers to take care of). It was a shocking shade of green, and sweet as can be, not a trace of that bitterness you sometimes get in the stalk. Today, I treated myself to the half-pound that was left in the fridge to make the salad.

I’ve probably posted this recipe before, but I’mma do it again, just ‘cuz I’m nice:

Hard boil an egg or two, then chill in cold water or the fridge. Take ½ pound of asparagus, break off the tough ends and wash. Steam for about two minutes or until tender (don’t overcook! If you can smell it, take it off the heat!), then immediately dump it into a bowl of ice water to chill. Cut up a couple of tomatoes (can’t get local this time of year, but try to find some that have flavor). If you can’t find a good organic Campari tomato, the little grape tomatoes cut in half will do just fine. Cut up the asparagus into bite-sized pieces, add tomatoes and one or two diced hard-boiled eggs. Salt generously. Add a couple of tablespoons of homemade vinaigrette.

My vinaigrette is a heaping teaspoon of Maille mustard, about ⅓ cup white wine vinegar and ½ cup olive oil, walnut oil, or other light salad oil, salt and pepper to taste. Adjust these proportions to your own liking. Lemon juice can be subbed for the vinegar, too.

The best part is, this is totally legit on my diet! Not boring at all! Now, to find something to go with it. Hmm...maybe I should try to find that rabbit….

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! You're posting again! But please don't eat the bunny...

    ReplyDelete