Loca-busy? Locavore?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Day 5 of Shopping at Home: My Roots are Showing



My parents grew up in southern Illinois, and occasionally I can’t help but let loose my cooking alter ego, the southern farm gal.  I grew up on dinners like these; all I can say is you should either be bringing in the harvest or walking the dog a lot if you have these dinners more than once in a blue moon.

Thanks to my mother’s tutelage on the making of a fine southern gravy—to which I’ve added my own twist—tonight’s dinner was embarrassingly easy.  I defrosted a package of pork cutlets from Triple S and pan-fried them in my super-sized cast iron skillet, adding a sprinkle of salt and white pepper.  While the microwave was doing its magic on my frozen green beans, I whipped up a little gravy.  Pork cutlets from Triple S fortunately, or unfortunately for gravy-making, have less fat than their commercial counterparts (hey, I’ve personally seen those pigs move), so there are very few pan drippings to use.  Here’s where the southern cook part comes in:  I add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the pan after the cutlets have been browned and transferred to a plate on warm in the oven.  After the butter has melted and blended with the pan drippings, I whisk in about 1/3 cup of flour, creating a skillet full of little delicious lumps.  Keeping the flame on medium, I whisk in milk a little at a time, stirring until the lumps mostly dissolve.  I keep whisking and heating and pouring milk until the desired amount of gravy is produced (usually around 1 1/2 cups), keeping in mind it will thicken even more as it cools.  When it reaches gravy perfection, I add salt, white and black pepper, and a teaspoon of my favorite herb, dried thyme (yes, the thyme is the “twist” I mentioned earlier).  I simmer a couple of minutes more on low heat, and then pour the gloppy deliciousness into my Fiestaware gravy boat.


My mom taught me that milk gravy is always made from chicken or pork drippings, but beef should be accompanied by a water gravy, using beef broth or the water from cooked vegetables as the liquid instead of milk.  She also taught me that biscuits are not necessary; all you need is a fine slice of high-quality bread to soak it up.  In our case, a slice of rye bread from Pekara bakery worked very nicely.  Gravy can be poured over the bread, over the bread and veggies, or over your entire plate of food.

My boys focused more on the gravy than the meat, so there will be leftover cutlets for tomorrow’s dinner.  I’m already making plans…

No comments:

Post a Comment