Loca-busy? Locavore?

Monday, November 25, 2013

Local from Gobble to Oink


For me, planning Thanksgiving dinner is almost as fun as eating Thanksgiving dinner.  A couple of weeks before, I start menu planning and recipe gathering.  I make lists, gather ingredients, and go shopping.  A couple of days before, I make sure meats are thawing and bread is drying.  I figure out which parts I can do the day before, including chopping onions and celery, cooking cranberry sauce, and making desserts.  I plan out the timing so I can carry out the precise choreography to not crowd the oven, yet keep everything hot until the moment it’s served.  I always include a few traditional must-haves, such as cranberry sauce, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie; I always include as many local ingredients as possible.  My cranberries are from far away, but bread from Pekara with herbs and onions from Claybank Farms will be made into dressing, the potatoes are from the Moore’s in Watseka, and the sweet potatoes (grotesquely large ones, I might add) are from Claybank Farms also.  This year I’m throwing in an oyster-mushroom appetizer (oysters from Claybank Farms), a kale salad, and roasted Brussels sprouts with gorgonzola and pecans (kale and sprouts from Blue Moon).  And a French tart, because, well, the French side of the family must be represented (apples from Monticello’s Wolfe Orchard).

My husband and I have been together almost sixteen years, and yet this was the first year we’ve been able to admit to each other a deep, dark secret we didn’t know we shared:  neither of us likes turkey.  For many years I’ve been going to the trouble of pre-ordering a free-range, organic turkey, thawing it, brining it, stuffing it with citrus and herbs, roasting it for hours, cutting it and keeping it warm for guests (once we even drove a thawing, brining turkey all the way to Virginia).  Then, after the event, I would dutifully wrap up the leftovers and put them in the freezer where they would stay for...years.  Until I would pull out the package, the meat unrecognizable with freezer burn, struggle with my conscience over the waste, then finally throw it away, knowing none of us would eat it.  We seem to have passed the turkey-hate gene to our son, who eats all of Thanksgiving treats with gusto, except the turkey.

No more.

This year I bravely cut turkey out of the Thanksgiving menu.  I know, to some it’s an atrocity—possibly anarchy—but I believe I can successfully celebrate the giving of thanks for nature’s bounty without turkey.  It can be done.  I am serving instead a gorgeous smoked ham from our favorite Triple S Farms, and a roasted, stuffed chicken (also from Triple S) for the non-ham eaters, or for those who seem to think a Thanksgiving without fowl is indeed foul.  And I will feel thankful, and my guests will be full when they leave, and we will gladly look forward to eating a few ham sandwiches after the last platters and dishes and roasting pans and glassware are clean and put away.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment: